Getting started today was a little rough for me. Even though I have a plan, a plan that I am happy about and excited by, I am filled with doubt and fear. On days like today, that fear and doubt was especially paralyzing. I just kept thinking, what the heck have I gotten myself into. As a result, I spent a good bit of time fiddling with things and not actually accomplishing anything. After a good bit of wasting time watching YouTube videos I began searching the internet for information about some of the sensors that I am hoping to use in my project. This led me to discover a YouTube tutorial called Arduino: How to Use a Force Sensitive Resistor (Force Sensor). Following along with this tutorial and the author's blog (Sam's Neat Project Blog CODE), I was able to get a basic prototype made for one of the pieces I am hoping to make.
This prototype is for the Water installation, where I plan to create objects covered in very soft crocheted yarn. As users interact with the objects through tactile connection, their touch will trigger sounds of water. At this point, the prototype I created only triggers a single LED to illuminate. Therefore, I have several things to do/work out....
1) Figure out how to use the sensor data I receive to trigger sound using Max
2) Write the Max patch
3) Figure out how to connect the Max patch to my Arduino
4) Figure out how many sensors are required per square inch in order to trigger the sounds in the manner I want them to be triggered
5) Order the necessary components to build a fully functioning prototype
6) Build the prototype
Even though I still have a good bit of work to do, I am extremely excited about the progress I made today. I look forward to continuing to work on this specific piece of my project. However, Timmy comes home from Ohio tomorrow and I am going to take the day off to hang out with him. My exploration will have to wait until Saturday.